Sunday, June 26, 2005

Pressing On


"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
(Philippians 3:13-14)
Our pastor Jamey have been giving a series of sermons from the letter Philippians, and this is one of the passage that we read and stood out to me. There are times that we like to look back to our past and dwell on it. If the Enemy fails to tempt us to move backwards, he will do anything to stop us from moving forward. Along with our past, full of successes and failures, come our selfish pride and self-accusation. The next thing you know, you have fallen into the Enemy's trap. You see, he is more than happy to allow us to freely think of ourselves, being self-centered. As a result, we either stop moving foward or, what's worse, start going backwards. I like what Keith Wheeler wrote in his website(http://www.keithwheeler.com/devotional.htm): "Ultimately, devotion looks like the object of it's devotion". As we focus our attention on ourselves, we become more like ourselves, dwelling in "the house of sin"; but as we look to Jesus, we began to look more like Him, reflecting His nature and character. Paul has called us to leave our past behind and press on toward our heavenly goal in Christ Jesus because all our past fades away in face of eternity. My prayer is that God reveals to all of us the implications of this scripture pertaining to our own personal lives. I believe that He will break the bondages of our past and give us the faith to press on toward what He has in store for us in the future. Remember, "our citizenship is in heaven." (Philippians 3:20) Blessings,
mike Posted by Hello

11 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Yokanchi said...

What other language do you know? i mean like what country are you origionally from ?

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I was born and raised in China. I came to Texas for college after high school in China. It's hard to get an opportunity to speak Chinese here but I try to keep it up whenever I get a chance. My encounter with Christianity has been in English so I would really feel akward praying in Chinese, but I believe He will use me either way when I go back to China. To answer your first question, I speak Mandarin(official Chinese language) and 2 other local dialects from where I grew up(it should have been 3 but I barely remember the other one :))

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Consecrated said...

You want to speak Chinese Mike let me invite you to come to Canada. Did you know that 30% of the population in Vancouver (western Canada) is or Asian decent. Also you have a big Chinese contingent in Montreal. Cantonese, Mandarin you name you can speak it all. Cecilia is from Cainan Islands, and she explained to me that China allows immigration to only three countries, Canada, New Zealand and I forget the third, not sure if it is Australia, and that it was a mutual wish by both China and the States not to encourage immigration to the States.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Consecrated said...

You want to speak Chinese Mike let me invite you to come to Canada. Did you know that 30% of the population in Vancouver (western Canada) is or Asian decent. Also you have a big Chinese contingent in Montreal. Cantonese, Mandarin you name you can speak it all. Cecilia is from Cainan Islands, and she explained to me that China allows immigration to only three countries, Canada, New Zealand and I forget the third, not sure if it is Australia, and that it was a mutual wish by both China and the States not to encourage immigration to the States.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Jojo said...

Hi Mike,
Found your blog thru your post on Christinewjc. I love the song that plays, although I cannot understand a word. :) Can you print the words in english. Is it you singing? I have enjoyed what I have read here. I will come back when I can visit more. Come visit my blog if you want to. I find it fascinating to meet other Christians around the world who I would not know if it were not for blogging. God bless you!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Yokanchi said...

thats really neat, i am trying to learn russian right now, i would also like to learn german and possibly spanish if i can.
I want to be able to speak as many languages as possible throuought my life. I also have a best freind that is from russia that comes to my church.

so are you an exchange student? did you come over when you were very young or not?

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Consecrated, thanks for your invitation. I do hope I can visit Canada someday. I believe there are many Chinese Churches there too. :)

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Jojo, the background song is the Chinese version of a worship song called "King of Majesty." The lyrics of the song can be found at http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/a/australiahillsongs8787/kingofmajesty816006.html and you may download the full English version from http://www.geocities.com/t_frog68/KingOfMajesty.mp3, where I uploaded.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Good for you, Yokanchi. May the Lord bless your language learning for His glory!

No, I'm not an exchange student. I came to the States for undergraduate studies in biology right after high school in China about 3 years ago. I'm now a junior and planning to graduate in fall, 2006.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Gade said...

Hey Mike,

Just wonder you are a photographer or not? Cuz I'm seeing you post pictures most of the time. I didn't get any email from Brant yet, and my plan is changing I can't go down to Bangkok yet. Maybe on August I'll be in Bangkok for a couple which I'm not sure yet cuz I need to visit my family in down south, but I hope to get in touch with them. Thanks so much for offering to email them for me. Have a good time! God bless you.

Kate

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Kate,
I'm not a photographer but I enjoy seeing the wonders and beauty of His Creation and capture them using my digital camera. I believe the wonderful and the majestic sights we see on earth are just a glimpse of what there is in Heaven; a shadow of the REAL Thing; a facet of the multidimensional Object.

I'm thinking Brent may be too busy to check emails, hehe. I'll get in touch with him soon.

Blessings,
mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Free Counters